Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year

Hello friends!

After a long period of silence I am writing from Panama with an update on D.D.H.   Prior to this post, we were so unbelievably busy and things happening around Dan's recovery were kind of status quo - moving more slowly now that he's plateau'd.  So I put the blog on the back burner and decided to resume once my head cleared a bit.  So here I am!

It is New Year's Eve Day.  We left rainy, cold Seattle in the wee hours of December 15 and have been in Panama on Isla Taboga since the 16th.  Sun, warmth, salt water swimming, pool swimming, sleep, good food, rest...  The best prescription of all and we are loving it.

La Playa
Sarah & Julia were with us for 2 weeks and left just a few days ago.  We had Christmas together and spent some sweet moments of gratitude and cozy family time together.  Our Christmas was simple, Julia's 20th birthday celebrated Taboga style.  Right now, I am sitting in our kitchen, looking out at a view of the water with huge ships in the distance making their way to and from the Pacific side of THE canal.
View from our bedroom

Our days are typically like this:  We wake up, Dan makes coffee while I lounge in bed a bit longer.  We drink coffee on our patio and wake up slowly.  I do a little yoga, a little writing either before or after.  Dan chats with other folks in our complex of 7 condos - nice people all and good friends.  Then we putter around fixing things up, working on projects.  It is very therapeutic for Dan whose brain injury is still quite apparent to me in the way he processes things.  It takes longer and he relies heavily on the A.B.O.D.E. system he learned in cognitive therapy class.  Basically, he is working on rewiring his brain as it heals by using this system and the projects he is doing down here are perfect for that.

He also goes into the pool every day and does his exercises using water as resistance.  Kevin gave Dan some aqua dumb-bells which we filled up and he is using those as well to keep his strength up and protect the still-injured and sore parts of his body.

One ongoing problem is his numb foot and leg.  He goes up and down stairs like an old man and has trouble feeling the road.  One day he went off the edge of the sidewalk and nearly turned his ankle because he just couldn't feel the edge.

So - we are taking it slow and easy and making rest and healing our main priority.

This trip has been as essential for me as it has been healing for Dan.  I am slowly finding my way back to my center and allowing myself to do nothing all day long if that's what ends up feeling right.  Honestly, it is too hot in the middle of the day for much else.  Siestas definitely make sense - and Dan usually takes a good long nap in the afternoon.  Me, I sit on the patio, drink a beer, skype or write or read.

We have three weeks left and I can only imagine that it's going to get even better and the healing - at least emotional healing - will grow roots.  Deep roots.

In the meanwhile, we are ready to bid farewell to 2011 and welcome in 2012.  Dan is very happy to put the year behind him.  And we are  grateful to have all that we have to anticipate in 2012.  Especially an intact family and a functioning Dan.

I'll write more as I can.  But for now - time for a walk to the beach and the healing waters of Taboga!




  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.