Friday, September 30, 2011


Hi everyone...

I can't believe another week has gone by since my last post.  But when I think about what transpired during the last couple of weeks I guess it makes sense.

Between Dan's appointments, my work and helping Julia move, it's been non-stop for 2 weeks.  Today is my first day off since the 18th.  And - day "off" is merely a figure of speech!  We have things to do today - but we can do them at our own pace.

Dan continues going to his appointments regularly. 2-3 days a week.   We have been arranging my work schedule around his appointments so that I can transport him.  I have flexibility at work and again, it's wonderful that he is being treated where I work.  Makes life a lot less complicated to be sure. 

Yesterday he only had two appointments - late morning and early afternoon,  and so that I didn't have to leave work or go in late, he rode the bus (including a transfer) on his own yesterday.  That's progress!  I feel somewhat freed up knowing that he can do that if necessary.

I worked all week last week (M-F) and then over the weekend worked HARD with Julia both days moving her into her new apartment.  You know how that goes.  I was remembering my first apartment in NYC - some of you have been there - and remembering how it was to move in.  But I didn't have to worry about my back or my knees back then (!).  And I didn't fall into bed feeling like I had been hit by a truck at the end of the day.

It was a wonderful weekend - happy to see Julia flapping her wings.  We both missed Dan who would have been lending his muscle to the weekend but we did it.  Picked up furniture from friends who were cleaning out, took things out of our storage unit which is now amazingly empty, went to Goodwill for the rest. 

Then, on Monday, we were back at the hospital for Dan who had 3 appointments and I worked while he was there, putting in a full day.  Then, worked Tuesday, Weds, Thursday.  Sometime Tuesday night I started getting dizzy as I turned over in bed.  The room was spinning like crazy, making me feel nauseated on top of it, but I couldn't get out of bed because of the spins.  I have had low-grade to severe dizziness ever since.  I feel completely exhausted.  I think it's just all catching up with me. 

So I'm home today taking it easy.  Slept last night from 9:30 to 10 this morning (after a nap when I got home!).  Today we have a few things to do but I am determined to rest.  It's gorgeous - sunny, clear, fall day.  I want to go sit on the beach, walk - if I don't get too dizzy - eat out, etc.  Just take a little vacation.

Dan is on board with it.  He knows that I have hit the wall.

But on the whole, life is good.  We are grateful for Dan's progress and the care he is getting.  Grateful for our daughters' success.  Sarah is working on the next phase of her life and Julia is very busy and happy in school getting her CNA and enjoying "nesting" in her first solo living situation.  We are, as always, grateful for our family and friends and all that has surrounded us and held us up during these past 7 weeks.

I want to write thank you notes - this is the longest I've ever gone without responding in writing to those who have done so much for us.  It's humbling.  I have forgotten - or not been able to acknowledge birthdays. But I am thinking of you all and again, so, so grateful. 

I guess I'm not superwoman after all...



No comments:

Post a Comment